I love podcasts and listen to several regularly. Below is a list of what I’m listening to these days if you’re looking for some new material.
My Main Podcast Rotation
I listen to new episodes of these podcasts pretty soon after they come out.
- Some Work All Play: the best running podcast I’ve come across. Hilarious, interesting, and genuinely helpful at getting better as a runner.
- Making Sense: Sam Harris’ podcast. I don’t always agree, but Sam’s always thought-provoking.
- Honestly with Bari Weiss: a podcast by a former New York Times editor and writer turned independent journalist.
- Old Gods of Appalachia: a horror podcast set in a fictional version of the Appalachian mountains.
- The Freetrail Podcast with Dylan Bowman: great interviews with some of the most important runners and personalities in the trail running world.
Podcasts I Listen to Occasionally
I enjoy these, but I don’t listen to every episode. I tend to make it to these once I’m caught up on the regulars:
- Bill Burr’s Monday Morning Podcast
- Startalk Radio
- For the Long Run
- The Singletrack Podcast with Finn Melanson
Others I Have Loved
Podcasts that I’ve listened to in the past but which I’m no longer listening too for one reason or another–perhaps they aren’t producing new episodes or they lost me during a lull between seasons and I haven’t had podcast-listening-bandwidth to pick them back up. In any event, I enjoyed these and you might as well.
- In the Red Clay
- Reverse Engineered: a Kinsta podcast I hosted for two seasons, presently on indefinite hiatus.
- The Milkman of St. Gaff’s: a surreal horror podcast featuring Howie the Milkman, set on the island of St. Gaff’s.
- Welcome to Night Vale: another weird horror podcast. Sensing a trend? Think of this podcast as a public radio dispatch from a conspiracy-riddled town where supernatural forces and vague yet menacing government agencies incompetently fumble about in the shadows while everyone else pretends everything is normal.
- Small Town Dicks: true-crime stories told by small-town cops.
- Humanize Me: by my friend, Bart Campolo. Worth supporting on Patreon, and I do.
- Office Ladies
- This American Life
- reply-all: a podcast about the internet. I haven’t picked it back up since P.J. left the show.
- Phoebe Reads a Mystery: a chapter per day of classic novels.
- Q Clearance: if you believe in QAnon, please listen to this podcast.
- In the Dark
- Man In the Window
- Over My Dead Body
- Dr. Death
- Dirty John
- Judith Lucy – Overwhelmed and Dying
- The Horror of Dolores Roach
- Alice Isn’t Dead
- The Airing of Grief
- The Left-Right Game: a fictional tale in the supernatural horror genre.